Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cheerios: Spoonfuls of Stories


Do you remember reading while growing up? I sure do. I have been reading for so long and I like to believe that my love of books has helped me tremendously in life. Whether it is to foster imagination, expanding my vocabulary, or to allow me to escape reality for a little while, reading has helped me become the person that I am today.

As a parent it is my responsibility to ensure that I make time to read with my daughters. Their bookshelves are crammed with books of all sizes. Some are classic books that have been around for a long time. Other books are by new and upcoming authors that I hope will someday turn into a classic for my childrens' children.

Cheerios is celebrating their 10th anniversary of their wonderful reading program Spoonfuls of Stories. Started back in 2002 it has helped bring books into families and encourages reading with your children and to your children. In their 10 years they have given away 60 MILLION books in Cheerios cereal boxes and have donated $3.8 million dollars to First Book--a non-profit, award winning children's literacy program that provides low income children the opportunity to own their first books.

To celebrate their 10th anniversary, Cheerios is offering six phenomenal stories in boxes of Cheerios. The books that are included this year are written in English and Spanish, the stories are wonderful and my daughters have fallen in love with each one. Cheerios has also made it easy so you can see the book through the box, so there is no chance of you grabbing a box that has a book that you already own.


Here are the six fabulous books that are being given away this year:

1) Noodle & Lou by Liz Garton Scanlon

2) Hello Baby! by Mem Fox

3) If I Were a Jungle Animal by Amanda Ellery

4) Peeny Butter Fudge by Toni Morrison & Slade Morrison

5) Mostly Monsterly by Tammi Sauer

6) Can I Just Take a Nap? by Ron Rauss


This program is so special! To be able to offer books to all children means a lot to me. I want every child to discover that reading is fun. Do you have a favorite book from childhood? Do you read it to your own children now?



A HUGE thank you to Cheerios & Simon and Schuster for the opportunity to read the above books with my daughters. We received all six books in order to facilitate the review.




No comments: