Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Memoirs Aren't Fairytales: A Story of Addiction


When was the last time that you started a book and absolutely could not put it down? Can you think of a time? For me it had been a very long time. So long in fact that I cannot remember the last book that gripped my attention and had me feeling that I had to know what would happen next.




Enter Memoirs Aren't Fairytales: A Story of Addiction. I have to say that this isn't my typical type of novel. I usually go for something lighthearted with a happy ending. This story is everything but that.


Synopsis

Having gone through a horrible college nightmare Nicole and her best friend, Eric, leave Bangor, Maine for the big city of Boston. Nicole is a fragile young girl who wants nothing more than to erase her past and have a new beginning. With freedom enters possibilities lurking in the shadows. She experiments with drugs and that is when her entire world begins to crash around her. Heroin has taken over her life. A once bright girl has now become addicted to heroin with the first experimentation with it. Her body is covered in track marks. She becomes a prostitute. She loses everything, to include the very ones that she loves.


My Thoughts

Holy cow. When I was asked to read Memoirs Aren't Fairytales: A Story of Addiction by Marni Mann I was unsure if I would--or could--like this book. The synopsis is so dark, so gripping, that I decided to try it out and if I couldn't finish it I wouldn't beat myself up.

I couldn't put it down. In less than 72 hours I completely read the book. I don't have any experience with addiction, neither myself nor my family members, but that didn't stop me from being engrossed with this book. It was written in such a real, lifelike manner that at times I would force myself to put the book down and remind myself that this was merely a story and it was not my life.

I felt for Nicole. I wanted to cry as I read the first time she tried heroin. I felt sick as I read the times she had to sell her body to simply get the drugs that she needed to survive. This book was such a page turner. It was amazing, sad, and gave me a huge wake up call on how truly tragic that addiction and drugs can be on one's life.


My Rating

Definitely 5 out of 5 stars. Although a somewhat dark book, I recommend that everyone reads this story. Addiction is real. Drugs are everywhere. Read this book and become addicted to the reality of what can happen to a seemingly bright, intelligent woman when drugs cross her path.


Where to Buy

Amazon
Barnes & Noble 


Follow & Fan Author Marni Man

Facebook
Twitter
Web


I received an e-book in order to facilitate this review. No other compensation was given and all opinions expressed above are my own. 



1 comment:

Kara said...

Great review, I will put it on my list!

Books like this can leave you emotionally drained. That's when I pick up some good chick lit or a cozy mystery as a chaser.