Friday, July 16, 2010

Not Mom of the Year? Don't Worry--I'm Right There With Ya....

NOT Mom of the Year Award


When I first heard about the "Not Mom of the Year Contest" hosted by the ever fabulous Mommyologist and Life Without Pink I giggled. Because let's face it--we are all guilty of doing something that could allow us to wear that hat. And some more than others....

Ahem.

I remember before I gave birth to my first daughter, Isabella, I had it all figured out. It was pretty much the list of awesome--and I just knew that I would be the most perfect, amazing mommy that ever walked the face of the earth. I would do it all and prove to everyone that motherhood was4 perfect and easy and a piece of cake.

Some of my goals included:

*No sweets, unhealthy snacks

*No television

*Never missing a bath

*Sunshiny, singing in the mornings

*A spotless home at all times

*Homemade dinners every nite of the week. Natural, organic and homemade baby food, too

*Toss that pacifier out on the day she would turn 1

*Fix my hair, wear makeup daily


Now nearly three years later and two little girls later I am sitting on the couch still in my pj's. For breakfast today we started out with a Rice Krispy treat and followed that with Apple Jacks and Golden Crisp.

So much for no sugary sweets, eh?

I've thought up a list of all the "Not Mom of the Year" worthy events that have happened in the past few years...

*The time Isabella ate dog poop...

*The time Madelyn slept in poop...

*The time Isabella fell off the bed...

*The time Madelyn fell off the bed...

*The time that Isabella ate chocolate frosting out of the trash can...

*The time we ate cake for breakfast...

*The time we ate cookies for breakfast...

*The times we go to McDonald's for nuggets, fries and Diet Cokes...

*The times I have secretly laid in my bed praying and hoping that they would go back to sleep...

*We eat instant oatmeal more than healthy oatmeal...

*The amount of times that I have bribed with Goldfish, fruit snacks and ice cream...

*I sometimes let them skip a bath...

*Isabella learned how to count in Spanish--and not from me, but from Dora...

*Or the time that Isabella found an old sippy cup and took a drink...and what was in said cup? Milk. Gag...


That's my list of my "Not" moments. I know there are more {believe me when I say that...}, but in my daughters' eyes? I will always be their mom of the year--and to me? That's what rocks mommyhood.

Because for all of our "Not" moments we have many, many wonderful moments...even if on some days it just doesn't seem possible.

20 comments:

Shell said...

I was laughing and nodding my head through your list! Love you, girl!

BNM said...

amen I agree with you whole heartedly :) loved the post.. and Bailey has sooo done the old sippy cup thing eww

Pres. Kathy said...

This is awesome! You nailed it!

Kmama said...

Just add my name to the bottom of that list, okay?? ;-)

Jenny said...

all so true...mcdonalds french fries are a staple in will's diet...so sad but what can you do?!

love you girl!

The Black Sheep said...

excellent post!!! all of itsso true!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I'm pretty sure we've done everything on that list...well, almost everything (Izzy ate her own poo, not dog poo!)

I want to see a mom that hasn't fallen suspect to at least one of these mom moments.

Venassa said...

Not ideal situations, but definitely some typical mom moments.
Funny though :)

Tylaine said...

Great Post Shell. I was so going yes yes yes through your list. :)
And Dora is educational right? so how can that not be a good one. :)
And bribery wouldn't have been invented if it werent't meant to be used right? Wait....not bribery but "r e w a r d s" (sounds much bettser :)) And oatmeal is oatmeal....so good for you! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! I could have had a fair number of these on my list too :-P

Amanda said...

I don't even want to make my list! LOL I probably should though. It's so funny how we can start out on our parenting journey will all these little perfection ideas in our head.

Who the hell are we kidding?!?!??! LOL.... oh well :) In the end we actually are super moms!

Amy @ Marvelous Mommy said...

Haha isn't it funny how that works!

Unknown said...

Oh I love it - while I never used a pacifier with my kids - I was right there with you on the rest of your not list! :) Oh the things that our kids have to go though - guess they will make good stories later in life...I can't believe their was not painting the walls with poop - I thought everyone had a story like that. lol! Have a great weekend!

Patrice said...

I love those post!! too funny! My parents say they made more mistakes with my sister because she was the second! lol She was the kid that fell off the bed! haha You are so right though, you will always be mom of the year to them! Too sweet!

Kristi said...

Hmmmm...I can't relate at all. I do everything perfectly...sorry sis.

LOL! You know I'm kidding! One quote comes to mind "I'm just giving her a little snack to shut her up"
HAHA

Oh and of course the time I thought she had rabies. BUT then she smiled so I knew she wasn't aggressive like how Old Yeller got so I knew we were in the clear. By the way - she will be 3 months old in a couple of days. LMAO!!

Life Without Pink said...

Yes I think as moms we can all relate to this. I have done most of the thing on your list and I just think - hey my boys are happy and loved so I did my job!

Great post and thanks for entering!

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

As Shell said... I was nodding my entire way through this. Are these NOT just pars for the course? I can't imagine it any other way!

I agree, I think we're sis'!
xoxox, Kat

Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

As Shell said... I was nodding my entire way through this. Are these NOT just pars for the course? I can't imagine it any other way!

I agree, I think we're sis'!
xoxox, Kat

The Mommyologist said...

You gotta love the poop stories! I once let my son sleep in a poopy diaper on an airplane because I thought it would be more fun to sit and read my book on the flight rather than wake him up and have to entertain him the whole time. I didn't smell anything, so I just figured no one else did either! LOL!

Sorry I am so late in reading this! I was traveling all weekend!

Mungee's Ma said...

Oh I'm gagging over the old milk in the sippy cup! Mungee won't use a pacifier ... she much prefers her thumb. Which now has a GIANT callous on it.