Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Spirit

Isabella is in LOVE with everything Christmas which is a huge change from last year when she had no clue what was going on.

The ornaments (which I have found a few hidden and tucked away in her room, cute!), the gifts under the tree, the songs, the singing animals at the stores...everything! And if you are wondering...we didn't make it to see Santa yet...that will be this Friday after my prenatal appointment, yay!

Anyway, I've always been a firm believer that when I have a child or children I want the season to be for them. Learning about Jesus, his birth, giving to others, donating money to different causes as they are out in the bitter cold hoping to get some change that will make a difference. I want her to know that the season is for giving to others and to know what we are celebrating.

I recently nominated a family for an amazing Christmas giveaway. You had to nominate them on the Barefoot Mommies blog and then readers voted to see who would be the winner.

Guess what...my family won! (It was actually a tie!). I was so touched by the people who took time to vote for the nominated families. I am so happy I could help make another family's Christmas a little brighter. It could be my hormones, but I was crying as I saw how many votes my family got. It. was. amazing.

So, this Christmas, if you have a chance to make someone's season a little brighter....I urge you to do so...this was so rewarding for me to do this.

12 comments:

Donna said...

Great post! Congrats! I'm right there with you. My son (Nic) is really into Christmas this year and it is so much fun! It's also important to me that he realizes it's not just about the presents. We have donated toys, clothes and our time to help others this season. Nic even helped ring the Salvation Army bell. Most important, if you ask him why Christmas is special, he'll tell you it is becuase it's Jesus' birthday! I'm so happy for your family and to hear of another family who is really remembering why this time of year is so special! Congrats and God Bless!

Fantacy so Sweet-n-Stuff... said...

can I blame your hormones on the crying too? please? :D
I love that age when the little ones start "getting" Christmas, esp before they are old enough to have a bad case of the gimmes that I hear so much of when walking through stores or in the hallways at school :(

Patrice said...

Aww sweet! That's so sweet of you to nominate a family & so happy they won! Congrats!

I can't believe I'm just now seeing your new layout! Where have I been!!?

I love it! Super cute! :)

Hope you're feeling a little better!

Forgetfulone said...

Kids are so sweet when they get in the spirit. And I'm so glad your family won and will receive some things to make their holidays brighter.

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed reading this post :)
I'm right there with you, it should be about Jesus!

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

oh that is so cute that you found ornaments in her room :) i love how much sweeter the Christmas spirit seems with kids around... and you're so right about teaching your kids what Christmas is really about.

hey guess what! you're on my photo blog, you can check it out here if you want :) http://amandaslakesphotography.blogspot.com/

Kristi said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME THAT THEY WON!!!!!

Susan said...

It's not your hormones because I just got teary thinking about how important it is to instill those values in our precious children. So many young people these days are all about themselves and it is so refreshing to come across children who have a giving spirit. So glad that the family you nominated was blessed by your thoughtful actions. Merry Christmas!

Anti-Supermom said...

that's so wonderful! I was wondering where you have been, happy that you are OK - though it sounds like MS is still kicking your butt from your sidebar.

Christmas is completely about the kiddos in my family too.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That is so awesome and amazing. I've got goosebumps!

Congrats to the winner!

And good for you for teaching Isabella the true reason for the season.

Jill and Rick said...

Chelle, I'm so glad that the family we voted for won! Good job, sweetie!

Love you.

Kristen said...

I totally agree!!

Yea for you honey!!

And we just went to Target to buy our gifts for other kids on Monday. Such great traditions with kids I tell you! :)