Thursday, June 17, 2010

Guest Post: To Dad's Health!

Hi everyone! My name is Marjorie and I blog at the soon-to-be-renamed 2010mysd.com. Stop by and say hello ! I'm a mother of a nearly 16-year-old son, wife, and jack-of-all-trades living in Northeast Florida (and sweltering at the moment!). I'm thrilled to be guest blogging today at The Winey Mommy, although I wouldn't mind being on vacation now myself.

"Recognizing and preventing men's health problems is not just a man's issue. Because of its impact on wives, mothers, daughters, and sisters, men's health is truly a family issue."

-Congressman Bill Richardson (Congressional Record, H3905-H3906, May 24, 1994)

Friday is usually "Fitness Friday" on my blog. Since this week is National Men's Health Week and Sunday is Father's Day, what better topic to discuss than the health of the men in our lives.


I swear it's genetic: men naturally have an aversion to anything medical. I take the preventative approach to health. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. My dear hubby, on the other hand, will not go to the doc unless something is wrong. I love him dearly, but this drives me batty!


Enter Men’s Health Week. The goal is to encourage men to get regular medical advice and to improve their lifestyle, wellbeing and all aspects of their physical, mental, emotional and sexual health. It’s never too early to get boys and young men in the driver's seat when it comes to their health. Empowering our sons to make healthy lifestyle choices is one of the best gifts we can give them.


These are three ways you can steer Dad in the right direction when it comes to his health:

  1. Give him a Father's Day card with a doctor's appointment as a gift. Tell him it’s already paid for. That way he won’t say no. If your husband is like mine, he hates wasting money so he’ll keep the appointment!
  2. Go for a walk or bike ride after dinner. Why not make it a family activity and bring the kids along. Even though he’s a teenager, my son and I often go walking at night. We enjoy spending time together and it sets a good example for him. My husband and I have started riding our bikes together on the weekends. It's a nice way for us to be alone together and get exercise at the same time.
  3. Send him a Health-e-Card. These ecards are geared towards men and are appropriate for any occasion, including Father's Day.


Because Sunday is Father’s Day, I thought I’d share these freebies just for dads!
  • Take Dad to TCBY for a free cup or cone on Father's Day. (participating locations only)
  • Dad can munch on a small breakfast and coffee at IKEA for free!
  • Treat Dad to dinner and a tournament at Medieval Times June 18-20 free with one full-price adult admission. Use code DFWEB10.
  • Dad gets a free ice cream float 6/20 - 6/27 when you spend at least $2 at Denny's. You have to make him a card on Facebook to get this deal.
  • Dad eats dinner free at Smokey Bones if you have a Bones Club card. You can get a Club card at the restaurant or online.
  • Head to Spaghetti Warehouse and Dad can choose between the original recipe pasta and the 15-layer lasagna free!
  • Dad can get any model or make cell phone of his choice free at T-Mobile. This deal is only available on Saturday, June 19 starting at 8:00 a.m. As with all cell phones, there is a catch. You have to sign up for a 2-year contract. Taxes and "fees" also apply.
  • Take dad to one of the 147 National Parks this weekend, when admission is free.

OK, I know what you're thinking. Some of these freebies aren't healthy. But dad is allowed a treat every now and then, particularly on his special day. Unless noted, these deals are only available on Father's Day, June 20.

Have a wonderful Father’s Day weekend! And, thank you for taking time to read my guest post. I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments: