Monday, May 10, 2010

Make My House Beautiful--Cheap AND Fun

My life lately has been full of projects, projects and more projects. Not that I don't like doing them--I love projects and working on beautifying my home. Especially if it's doing something small and inexpensive to make it better. I've decided to start a new project in my life--make my house beautiful. It will be ways to make me happy and make my home look beautiful with cheap projects that I do myself.


For my first project, I did a total de-cluttering of our master bath. I used to keep tons of my lotion, makeup, etc on this tray on my counter. I threw the tray away and put everything under the sinks. It looks amazing! I have a small bouquet of red flowers on the counter in a corner and our toothbrushes. That's it. It looks so nice! I love walking in there and not feel overwhelmed by the counter.

I've also been working on our yard like crazy. I love the sun, fresh air and exercise. It's perfect! I've raked up our old mulch and leaves, mowed again--I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to mowing....weird, I know. Then yesterday we went to Lowe's where I bought a hydrangea plant for our planter out front and some petunias for another rectangle planter I have. I love flowers--they make me happy just looking at them on the front porch. Leo will be buying the bags of new mulch to lay out so we can completed that project. I know I'll buy some more flowers to add to the front yard as well.

Then my favorite project. My parents recently spray painted their light fixtures at their house and painted their front door. It got me thinking....what a great way to give your house a face lift for a fraction of the cost of buying new fixtures and a new door?! So I started spray painting our fixture out front. And then I decided to paint a shelf that we have in our bathroom that we bought a couple of years ago. I'm painting them all black and they look great!! I ran out of paint so once Leo gets home I'll be running up to Lowe's for more...as for the front door I plan on doing that in a few weeks. Pretty sure I'll be painting it black and then getting some black shutters for our front windows. I'm thrilled and cannot wait for that to be done!!

Now I've been looking around my house like a crazy woman wondering what I could paint next....it's so cheap and easy to do--and I am hooked. Thinking of hitting some thrift stores soon to scope out what I could make beautiful.

Have you been doing any fun and cheap projects? Tell me about them--maybe you'll be the next to inspire me!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oo yay for all of the fun projects!! I have been doing a few things.. I am thinking of doing a weekly thing to post about different areas of the house.. Would you want to play along?

Liz Mays said...

The spray paint thing really comes out nicely? So cool!

Kristi said...

No fun projects for me - other than organizing everything before Avery was born.

And I want to see pics!!!

Kmama said...

Ooh, I agree. We need pictures! Look at you go! I wish had the motivation!

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

I love home projects. But I too, agree with Kmama. Post some pictures!!

Shell said...

I might have to see what I can spraypaint around here!

Vanessa said...

My mom used to mow our lawn often too -- she said it was the only time she could get some peace and quiet! I never understood that considering how LOUD the lawnmower was, but I get it now! :-)

Nikki said...

I've been trying to come up with some ideas for around our house too. I just put up our first hanging plant on the patio...now I want like 5 more...they look so pretty.
Glad you are having fun...keep letting us know what your are doing. Post some pics!

Hattie said...

I've been trying to declutter my house and getting ready for a garage sale. I need to make my house beautiful again. I can't believe you like to mow! I don't even now how to start one! Ha! Plus it's way too hot. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!!!

Pres. Kathy said...

What a neat idea about the spray paint. Since we have been in our home less that a year there are MILLIONS of things we need to do. WE just bough handle for our kitchen drawers and cabinets. I think they will look really nice! We are also in the midst of picking new paint colors. One day I think I am done picking and then I change my mind. Any suggestions?

Unknown said...

hope the spray painting comes out well. My projects lately have been purging all the stuff that has been collecting in the basement and storage closets. It's a monumental task but oh so necessary with the impending move.

Anti-Supermom said...

I have lots of projects, like our baby's room, moving Wu upstairs and moving Henry to the next bedroom over, that means everyone gets a new room. Does it mean that the projects are done, nope.

Wish me luck. And I agree, we need pictures.

The Black Sheep said...

Spray paint is one of my favorite tools!! LOVE IT!

I have several projects going on around here, too. I am making new curtains for my living room, and working on some sort of storage unit/home organization station in our mudroom.

Can't wait to see some pics of your projects!!

Grizzly Bear said...

Look at you miss marthat stewart.. hey when you are done come on over to my place alright! LOL