Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Are You Green?

All we hear now on the news is green green green. With gas prices soaring, food prices going higher and higher, a lot more of us are being conservative. For me it's a number of reasons why I am doing things to be "green". The most imortant reason? My daughter. I want her to have a wonderful future on our beautiful earth. I want her to not have to worry about things and most of all, I want her to grow up and learn how to conserve so she can continue helping our earth.

How are we green? We are doing lots of little things (although I know we can do more, but we are doing more and more a little at a time). We are replacing all of our old fashioned lightbulbs with the new energy smart ones. We'll save lots of money, conserve energy and they last a long time! When I run our dishwasher I make sure to use the short cycle and I turned off the heated drying. I dry off anything that needs to be dried myself. I take a bath/shower during daytime so I don't need to turn on any lights when bathing. I unplug the coffee pot everytime I am finished with it. We have our temperature set at 78* at all times during the summer months. If my laptop is charged, I unplug it and don't plug it back in until the battery is at 5%. We are going to be putting in a clothesline so I can hang up all the laundry to dry. I wash my hair every other day. I rarely blow dry my hair, if I need it dried I will wash it the night before and straighten it in the morning. I turn off the water to brush my teeth. I never leave lights on if I'm not in the room. We use natural light during the day so no lights are on. If I am on the computer I turn the television off.

I think if we all make one small change, it will lead into a big difference. Especially with prices soaring on so many things, anything we can do to save money and our planet means a lot to me and my family.

Happy Earth day and if you are doing anything to be green, let me know--I would love to hear what others are doing.

No comments: