Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hurricanes, Chocolate and Diet Coke

By now I'm sure all of my readers know that we live right on the Gulf Coast.  The water is less than a mile from our neighborhood--which is wonderful and all except, you know, when a hurricane is approaching.

Waking up this morning I had a news alert on my phone warning us that we were under a hurricane watch for Ida.  What?!

When did this happen!  I knew Ida was looming herself out in the Gulf, but now she wants to come my way?  Eek!  I have a Christmas party  to plan!  I don't have time to worry about a hurricane 2 1/2 weeks before Thanksgiving!

After calling my parents to let them know that Ida may be visiting us I made a list of the necessities to survive.  Here are my favorite hurricane must haves:

Chocolate (preferably Reese's pb cup miniatures--you know, for the protein)
Diet Coke (if we don't have power I need to get caffeine in some form)
Spaghetti/Lasagna noodles (um, I'm blaming the cold on this one.  Unsure of the reasoning)
Water (for those not drinking the Diet Coke which would be everyone except for moi)

Of course I put other things on the list.  But those above were my faves....they have Chelle written all over them.

PS--just got another weather alert on the computer. Under hurricane warning now.  Why am I kinda excited about this?!  Not "I'm so happy I could sing" excited...it's hard to describe...

PS (again--and totally random, but they are on tv-again-as I type this...)--can someone please tell Jon Gosselin and his girlfriend that they aren't that important to be doing television interviews? Please? And how weird is it that she's giving an interview and he.is.right.there. hovering all over her.  Ew. So over them.  Them and the whole Sarah Palin/Levi Johnston (Playgirl?! Really??) saga!

17 comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I can completely relate with your Must Have list, but um....girl, that is my Things Worth Getting Out Of Bed Everyday For list. HA!

(visiting from SITS)

Hope you have a great week!

- Margaret

Heather B. said...

I can't believe there is a hurricane in NOVEMBER!!! What is this??? Please be safe! And make sure you have extra chocolate for me!! LOL!! :)

Anonymous said...

yikes!! I am going to have to go check and see if your okay :-) I hope your stash of chocolate and Diet Coke are holding strong :-) Well and of course the water!

Eve said...

I sooooo want to know what else is on that list! hold on tight! x

Liz Mays said...

Diet Coke will get you through most any emergency.

That interview where they were discussing breaking up was the weirdest thing! I'm so sick of his face!

Bombtastic Belle said...

I was suprised to see a hurricane this late in the season too! I've been watching Ida online for a few days, then BOOM! she's coming our way. We're going to the store today to get this paydays groceries, so I know the stores are going to be crazy with people gettin stuff for the hurricane. Since we're in Crestview, we're a bit higher up than other areas, and about 30 minutes from FWB, and 45 from Destin, so I don't expect too much here besides a lot of wind.

I remember when we were stationed in Hattiesburg in '05 and Rich was deployed, there were a few smaller hurricanes/tropical storms that came through that I didn't think it was a big deal - then Katrina hit, and I wasn't able to leave in time. I don't play too much with hurricanes anymore if they get that high. *lol*

My stash is going to include a german chocolate cake that I'm going to bake this afternoon, and some ice cream from the store - hey, if the electricity goes out, just means I have to eat it. :)

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I hope Ida turns back to sea for you! Your must haves are great! I could not go without chocolate or Diet Coke...especially if I was feeling stressed! The greatest comfort food ever!

Katie said...

Stopping by from SITS....good luck with Ida! I saw that she weakened to a TS which is good. Heck, I drove to work during one of those when I first moved to the Charleston area! I love your Hurricane Survival list!

Jennifer said...

Like this post :) We love the same candy :) I think you are right about Jon

How do you find time to write so many post?

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

You're my kinda gal! PB cups, Diet Coke, carbs....really, what more could a girl need?

Tara said...

LOVE it! Before living back in Atlanta, my husband and I lived in Wilmington, NC just a few miles from the beach. Every time we'd have a hurricane (seemed like a zillion in 2005) we'd have a Hurricane Party! Our neighbors would join it too! ; )

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Stay safe..I hope it is a gentle one this time.

Unknown said...

Ugh...I have a friend in P-cola who made some pretty funny comments about Ida & her arrival.

Isn't living on the coast fun??

Love your list...but, you forgot the vino! ;-)

Becks said...

That is crazy that you have to deal with crazy scary storms...also i feel like Hurricane Ida is a repeated name, haha!

Where do they come up with their names and why are they always womens names?? I would like the next hurricane to be called Hurricane George or Bob or Harry!

P.S. I would be guzzling your diet coke and stealing your Reece's PB cups if I was there with you...so be glad im not ;)

MoodyMommy said...

You stole my list!!! I also live on the coast...in Texas...I swear my Hurricane list is Diet Coke and Reese's...I also have to add cigarettes...Yeah...I know...BAD!! But hey it is my list!!

Anonymous said...

you can never go wrong with coke.coke.and more coke!! Hope you all get missed by the storm!

amanda said...

you know we don't have these kinda storms back home...just sayin :)

i can dream right??

stay safe friend!!

xoxo