Friday, March 26, 2010

Hooters Girls or Margaritas?

Tonite we went to the best little hidden treasure of a restaurant--Pepe's Bosque--which is home to the best margaritas on the Gulf Coast. It was buyonegetonefreenite...aka?

Chelle's favorite nite of the week--well, that and the fact that it's Friday.

Anyway. After a dinner of Gulf Coast shrimp, chicken fajitas, quesadillas & a few margaritas for me, Leo went up to pay. This is where my big question comes into play. As he is trying to pay their credit machine is down. Leo and Bella decide to head to base to an ATM--Madelyn and I are there to finish my 'ritas and hang out one on one.

I am at the prime spot of their new restaurant--the back with a full view of everyone. I observed the ~21 year old group of guys with their crazy hair and t-shirts--they totally reminded me of friends that I had when I was that age. I had the families who would peek over at me probably wondering if I was going to be driving after the table  few glasses of empty 'ritas were on my table {for the record I never drink and drive. I was pregnant for 20 mos of my life--Leo has a few more months of being DD before I need to become the DD *wink*}.

And then they walked in. I nearly gagged on their cheap body spray/perfume drafting to the back of the restaurant where I was. They were dressed in their tight tops with "Hooters" splashed across the top. Their long hair and shitload a ton of cakey makeup to boot. To top it off their fake tans and crotch shorts were the icing on the cake.

They hugged the waiter and owner {hey, we got free shrimp--that's no hug, but we got free food--haha!} and sat in the table directly in front of ours. They didn't smile once. They didn't talk to one another. They ordered the skimpiest of meals and water with "loads" of lemon.

And then I noticed them. The table ordering round after round of 'ritas. Laughing, smiling and eating. I loved them at that instant. They were like "my people". I got them. Never mind that I had never spoken or uttered a single word to them in my life. I got them. They were like me. Love to laugh. Not intimidated for an instant of the calories that a margarita or a tortilla chip contained.

I glanced at the Hooters girls in front of me. One of them was eating salsa by the forkful. No talking No smiling. Lots of lemon.

It was there, in that moment, that I realized that I will never be one of them. I will always be the one smiling. Laughing. Drinking. And not counting my calories.

Which table would you be at? Honestly. If I were to look up would you be at the laughing/smiling table? Or the table counting the calories in their water with a "load" of lemon?

30 comments:

BNM said...

omg that aggravates me to hell & back!! When I go out to eat with someone and they order water and lots of lemons.. damn just get a lemonade the sugar aint gonna kill yah! Haha!! I would soo not be at the counting calories table, maybe about a year ago, but now .. not a chance! Im having too much fun & id rather be "fat & happy" than perfect & depressed cuz all I get is a damn lemon water! Bahaha!!!

Hattie said...

I'd be at the table drinking those margaritas and then I would be dancing on top of that table after drinking those margaritas!!! Ha!

Becks said...

Ummm i'm definitely at the eating, laughing, smiling table!! Fo' shizzle!! I tried that whole 'not eating thing' in my teens...sucked monkey balls as Heather would say.
Bring on the rita's, tortilla chips and quesadilla's...extra sour cream please! :)

Kristi said...

Ok I do get a little weird with my calorie counting...BUT only so that I don't feel bad when I'm drinking extra margaritas! (No real calorie counting right now though - that will return once Avery is born lol)

And I always think about what people in restaurants that have been drinking will also be driving. Scary how many people don't even think twice about it. I learned the hard way a looooong time ago and in some ways I am actually thankful for my lessons learned!

Lin said...

Haha, I've never calorie counted in my life! I eat whatever I want & dont care about how many carbs or calories it has. That mainly is why I'm a little on the chunk side but it's nothing that a little (or a lot) of exercising cant help. I'd most definitely be at the chip eating, margarita drinking, laugh out loud table with you :)

Adriane said...

I would totally be at the laughing table...the size of my ass proves that I've probably been there one (or two, or three...) too many times already... :-|

I love me some margaritas and good chips and salsa. If I get to choose, that is what my Heaven will look like.

Messy Mommy said...

I think you know what table I'd be at!!!!!

I so wish I liked margaritas. I don't. Had a little too much Tequila in one sitting in high school and I've never been able to stomach the stuff again.

Glad you enjoyed some down time!! Enjoy your freshly arranged furniture!

Have an award for you on my blog!

Jenny said...

definietly not a hooters girl that is for sure!!!

margaritas all the way...

Beth Zimmerman said...

Definitely no Hooters in my future! Definitely want chips with my salsa and strawberries in my margaritas ... and extra cheese and guacamole on most everything! But just for the record ... I LIKE lemon in my ice water! :)

Vanessa said...

Ha! Well, I can honestly say that I can have just as much fun drinking my water with lemon -- as long as I am sitting WITH my friends drinking their margaritas! :-D

Bubble said...

Smiliey smiley for me xx

Anonymous said...

so.. I read this eating tostitos and bacon and horseradish heluva good dip! Which table would I sit at?

Erin said...

Girl - me and you, Margaritas, Austin, laughing.

'Nuf said!

~E

Mrs. Micek said...

When my friends and I go out for girls night... its on!! We are always the LOUDEST table in the restaurant and always having lots of fun!!
Last time we went out, it was for our dear friends B-Day!! And we most definitely made her stand on her chair and got the whole restaurant to sing to her!!! :) (the waiter wasn't involved... it was all us!! )

I would love to sit at the Margarita table!! :)

Nikki said...

I LOVE FOOD and COCKTAILS!!! I'm pretty sure my ladies and I would be also be the loudest in the restuarant....plus I hate lemon in my water!

Heather said...

I like to eat healthy, but I NEVER deprive myself of a dang good time! If I go out to eat, I have a blast and order what ever the heck tickles my fancy. I would DEF be at the laughing table. Gotta live life to the fullest! I don't believe in counting calories (way too much effort).... been down that road, and I am no skinnier than when I live it up!

Heather said...

Love this cute post btw!

Jessica said...

screw counting calories. i love food. i would be at the table laughing and having a good time.

Anonymous said...

I would be that girl next too you laughing my ass off and enjoying some fruity drinks!

Bombtastic Belle said...

Do you think my big butt counts calories?! Puh-lease. *lol* I'd be having a nice drink - no 'rita for me, but a strawberry daq' instead - and having a good time. :)

Megan said...

I would definitely be at the Hooters table.

Ha!

I'd totally be chugging a margarita and ordering extra chips and guac at the fun table. :-)

(P.S. Hope you're feeling better about things - I'm totally late commenting on your other post but wanted to say hang in there!)

KarieK said...

Hells yes that is OUR people! Order me at least 4 of those 700+ calorie margaritas with LOADS of salt, chips, salsa, shrimp, quesadillas, woman my mouth is watering. Oh the Hooters girls...I have a blog post just for you! LOL

Heather said...

I admit, I sometimes do obsess over calories (especially right now as I'm getting ready for my wedding), but not to the point where I would EVER order just salsa and water with lemon. haha. I love food, and there is nothing better than sharing good food and great drinks with friends, laughing and having a good time. It's just that you have to find friends who don't look at you funny as you scarf down your enchiladas and margaritas. Sounds like you and several of your commenters would be those friends. Dinner anyone? :)

Anonymous said...

Smilin and having a great time is the ONLY way to go...

Life is too sour to add more lemons ;-) Need to put some sugar and make some lemonade

Rebecca D said...

Oh... well I've never counter calories in my life... and I am loud and love margaritas... but I do order water with lemon often when we go out... now I don't know where to sit... Does it count that I order water because I am too cheap to pay $2.50 for a glass of soda, because that money is better spent on more margaritas?

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, what's that phrase? Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels? I dunno, honestly, I go back and forth on this one. Maybe we can strike a balance and have both? In my dreams!

Lynn

Honey B. said...

Yeah, I'm in the happy table....because I love lemons, but only with TONS of sugar! lol

Pres. Kathy said...

I would be at the table with the most laughs and food!

MO said...

Hey doll! I do count my calories during the week but if I want a margarita, I damn well will have one! I will not deprive myself and be sad and miserable, that is no way to live!!!! I just had margaritas on Friday night with my gf Shanna....and TONS of cheese dip. YUM.

KLZ said...

I'd be at the one with the booze. I never understood why the drive to be "popular" was stronger than the drive to be happy.

Plus, those outfits? Look so uncomfortable.