Wednesday, March 31, 2010

SmartShield Self Tanner {A Winey Mommy Review}


I recently got the opportunity to review a bottle of SmartShield Self Tanner with SPF 15. I was happy to get this review for many reasons--I love having golden skin, but I am fully aware of the dangers associated with tanning beds and/or baking out in the sun. With spring finally here I was embarrassed to be going out with such white, pasty skin. Ew! I prefer myself to be a little tan...but without the risk of exposing myself to UVA & UVB rays.

***About SmartShield***

SmartShield was founded after finding out that a freckle was not a freckle--instead it was a precancerous spot on Harl's skin in 1992. Knowing that they wanted a formula that would smell great, be non-greasy, eco-friendly and protect from the sun, they perfected their formula in 1995.

 SmartShield's Self Tanner is an eco-friendly self tanner which uses DHA rather than dyes or stains to color your skin. Not only is it oil-free, but it also contains Vitamins A, C and E & aloe vera. With an SPF of 15 it blocks UVB and UVA rays that are harmful to our bodies.

***My Review***

I've used it for two days now and I've already noticed that I have a little more color than I did on Monday. I'm not orange {thank God!!}--that's one of my big turnoffs to many of the self tanners on the market. The smell isn't overpowering to me, either, which is another plus. Putting it on is simple--it's not thick or creamy which made it easier to rub into my skin. It didn't leave a white film for me to have to keep rubbing which was another plus. I love lotions that absorb easily! Oh--and it didn't aggravate my eczema. I can't use a lot of lotions due to having an eczema breakout so I was really pleased with SmartShield.


My bottle of SmartShield

 SmartShield is available for purchase on their website or many other beauty supply shops online for $12.99/bottle. They are also on Facebook & Twitter if you want to follow them there!

I was provided one bottle of self tanning lotion in order to perform an honest product review. No other compensation was given.

7 comments:

Mrs. Micek said...

I'll have to try this one out. I'm using one right now and haven't seen a difference!! :) YAY!!

Kristi said...

I want to see before and after pics!!! lol

Heather said...

I love self tanners! I'll have to give this a try!

Kimi@SoManyKids said...

I will have to give this a try. I'm blinding white!!!

MommyLovesStilettos said...

I don't have the patience for self tanners. I'll stick with my airbrush tan. LOL

Messy Mommy said...

Ooo I'll have to try that. I'm always scared to try these because I'm afraid I'll end up orange and/or streaky. Skin cancer runs in my family BIG TIME so I'm done with tanning beds.

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

I will have to keep my eyes open for this one. I love being tan but with my mole scare last year I just don't feel right about jumping in a tanning bed. I should give this one a try!