Thursday, August 28, 2008

I'm Warning You, Gustav....

Gustav has me freaked, my friends.

Scared.

Worried.

Not knowing the unknown.

I have never been through anything tropical.

Nada.

I am from the midwest (shout out to Missouri!).

We have tornadoes.

Ice.

Snow.

Not hurricanes.

We are on alert to evacuate.

Lists are being made of what we will take.

What will be put in our attic.

We will be in Dallas with my sister if we must leave.

I have taken pictures of everything worth value.

But that got me thinking about the worst.

That's what they say about life, right?

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best?

Because I am and we are.

This is the first home Leo and I bought.

We saved the whole two years we were in Turkey.

We bought our home.

The home we moved into when I was 8 months pregnant.

The home I unpacked boxes and decorated.

The home we took our daughter home to.

The home that became an actual home because of our daughter.

It saddens me that this storm can take that away from me.

It scares me that we may not have a home after this storm.

I have heard the horror stories.

I have seen the pictures.

I do not want to go through it.

That's the thing about the base we are stationed at.

We are right.by.the.coast.

So tonight as I lay down on my bed (which is oh so comfy!) I will probably lay there wondering.

Thinking.

Praying.

And hoping.

Sorry this post was all over the place.

But that is the state of my mind right now....

Just all over the place.

I hope by Thursday morning as you are reading this that Gustav will have made his mind up.

To.

Stay.

Away.

16 comments:

Simply Shannon said...

I hope that everything has turned out ok for you and your family. I haven't been paying attention to the news so I'm not sure what the status of Gustav is. All of you south-coast people are in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

You can replace things- not lives!
The gas stations here in Jackson already have lines- What is going on down there- are you at Keesler?

Jennifer said...

Your in my thoughts and prayers! I have been through at least 10 storm.
good luck

duchess said...

We'll pray that with you.
Just remember that as long as you are all safe, you can unpack in another home.
I'll be watching with you.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I haven't watched the news in days...sad. I hope that Gustav spares you. I would be scared, too! I will be thinking of you guys.

Susan said...

I hope the storm misses you guys. They don't seem to really know what is going to happen with it yet.
I have been through many hurricanes and believe me, when all is said and done you are just thankful that you have what really matters...your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh man - you will certainly be in my thoughts - this is the kind of thing we all fear, you know? That something which looks and feels so permanent can be taken in an instant...

I hope things turn out okay for you. I know regardless of what happens to the house though, that you'll be okay. Just take care of yourselves. :)

amanda said...

boo hiss to gustav!!

praying and sending happy thoughts (read no hurrican) thoughts your way!!

Amanda @ notsoextraordinary said...

I would be worried too... but you're right, you HAVE to hope for the best... and pray that God will keep you and your family safe...

Becks said...

That is so scary! I hope he went bye bye today!!

Patrice said...

So scary! I will be thinking about you & hoping you're ok!

Laural Out Loud said...

I felt the same way when we were under evacuation notice for the San Diego fires last year. So scary. I pray that you'll be okay and that you have a home to come back to (or not have to leave at all!).

Kristy said...

I really hope Gustav stays away from your home. I will be thinking about you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I heard about that hurricane. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is Ok down there. Stay safe!

Wendi said...

I live on the east coast.
I have been through lots of hurricanes.
Scary.
I pray you all will be kept safe.
I will be watching Gustav with you hoping he will just go out to sea!

jOni lAnE said...

I can't imagine the worry you must be feeling. Thinking of you and your family and hoping you are safe and well.
Smiles,
J